During a renovation a lot of dust, dirt and other pollutants are produced, which can be harmful to health. Therefore, it’s important to clean regularly to limit the spread of these pollutants.
Dust and dirt can cause respiratory problems such as coughing, shortness of breath and bronchitis. They can also cause allergies and asthma. In some cases, they can lead to serious health problems such as lung cancer.
Dust can be a source of harmful chemicals that can cause skin, eye and respiratory irritation.
In this article we will give you some tips on how to go through a renovation while maintaining safety. If you are planning a renovation be sure to follow these safety tips.
Live or leave the home during the renovation?
Living in a home during a renovation
Preparing the space for renovation is an important decision, especially for homeowners who are renovating only part of their home.
It becomes even more important if you plan to live in the home during the renovation, as it will require additional time and effort each day to set up and tear down.
For example, if you are renovating your kitchen or your only bathroom, the contractor will need to make sure that you have access to the rooms and can move around the rest of the home.
When preparing to live in a home during a renovation it’s important to remember the following:
- create a temporary space – if possible designate one room as a temporary living area where you can relax away from the noise and mess.
- plan a work schedule – make sure you have a clear work schedule for the renovation so you know when to expect the most noise and inconvenience. You can then organize your daily activities in a way to minimize disruption.
- protect furniture and items – cover furniture and items with protective film to protect them from dust and dirt.
- organize furniture and item storage – if it’s necessary to move furniture and other items during the renovation, make sure they are properly stored in a safe place.
- communicate with the renovation crew – keep in regular contact with the renovation crew to be updated on the progress of the work and any changes.
Leaving the home during renovation
Renovating an empty home allows the renovation crew to leave the rooms in a mess at the end of the day. The next day they can start exactly where they left off.
When preparing to leave your home during a renovation it’s important to remember the following:
- finding a temporary place to live – before the renovation starts, make sure to find a temporary place to live, such as an apartment or house for rent, a hotel, or with family and friends.
- planning the move – pack the essential things you want to take with you to the temporary place to live. Organize the move in advance to avoid stress and chaos at the last minute.
- protecting important documents and items – make sure you store important documents and valuable items in a safe place before the renovation starts.
- coordinating the work with the renovation crew – maintain regular contact with the renovation crew to be up-to-date on the progress of the work and any changes. Make sure they have access to the home at the appropriate times and the necessary information.
- preparing a budget for the costs of temporary housing – prepare financially for the costs of renting a temporary place to live and additional costs associated with living outside the home.
Regular cleaning during renovation
Regular cleaning during renovation is very important to keep the rooms clean and tidy. Taking the appropriate actions will help to prevent the spread of dust, dirt and other contaminants, and to maintain the appropriate conditions during the renovation.
It’s worth remembering:
- removing contaminants every day after work – removing contaminants every day after work is important to keep the house clean and prevent the spread of dust and dirt. Contaminants can stick to surfaces and lead to the formation of streaks and stains. They can also be a source of allergens, which can cause health problems, especially in children and people with allergies.
- washing used paint brushes, rollers, and other tools – washing used tools is very important to keep them in good condition and working order. Proper care of tools will help to avoid damage and the need to replace them.
- not using wet clothes or mops before vacuuming the surface – using a wet cloth before vacuuming is not a good idea. Wet cloths can spread dust and dirt, stick dirt to surfaces, and make it difficult to clean thoroughly, as wet dust and dirt is difficult to collect and can lead to the formation of streaks and stains. Therefore, vacuum first, and then use a wet cloth to thoroughly clean the surface.
Tips for regular cleaning during renovation
- establish a cleaning schedule – know when and how often to clean. Take into account the stages of the renovation and adjust the plan to your current needs.
- separate non-renovated areas – use protective foils to minimize the spread of dust and dirt to the rest of the apartment.
- regularly vacuum surfaces – remember to vacuum furniture, floors, walls, and other surfaces that may be exposed to dirt.
- use the right cleaning products – remember to wash floors, countertops, windows, and other surfaces, and regularly clean renovation tools, such as brushes, rollers, and others, to maintain their effectiveness.
- regularly open windows and ventilate rooms – this helps to get rid of odors, replace air during renovation, remove dust particles, and improve air quality.
- regularly remove trash and waste – this helps to avoid clutter.
- remember to use the right personal protective equipment, such as masks and gloves – this helps to ensure safety during work.
Regular cleaning during renovation is not only aesthetically pleasing, but it also helps to ensure comfort and safety.
Ensuring cleanliness and hygiene during renovation work is important for health and the final effect of the renovation.
Cleaning after each stage of the renovation
During a renovation, a lot of dust, dirt, and debris is created. Therefore, it’s important to clean up after each stage of the renovation.
This will help to ensure that your home is clean and safe after the renovation.
Tips for cleaning after each stage of a renovation:
- after demolition – once the demolition is complete, remove all rubble, plaster, boards, or other waste. Try to clean the floors, walls, and other surfaces of dust and dirt.
- after installations – when the installations (electrical, hydraulic, etc.) are complete, check for leaks or damage. Remove all waste and debris from the installations, such as packaging or pieces of pipes.
- after plastering and painting – once the plastering and painting are complete, clean the surfaces of any dirt, such as paint drops or plaster dust. Focus on removing any stains and streaks from the walls and ceilings.
- after flooring – once the flooring is complete, make sure that the surfaces are clean. Remove traces of glue or other substances that could have remained after laying the flooring.
- after furniture assembly – once the furniture assembly is complete, vacuum the room thoroughly, remove the packaging and protective films. Check if the furniture is properly assembled and if there are no damages.
- final cleaning – once all renovation work is complete, perform final cleaning. Vacuum all rooms, clean the windows, wash the floors and surfaces, remove all debris and leftover building materials.
An apartment during renovation can be chaotic, so try to keep it tidy on a regular basis, and cleaning after each stage of the renovation will make the final cleaning easier and restore the apartment to a usable state.
Remember that each renovation is different. Adjust the cleaning process to your individual needs and the conditions of the renovated apartment.
Safety and hygiene
Renovation is a time of many changes and chaos. It’s important to maintain safety and hygiene during renovation work. This applies to both the people doing the renovation and the people living in the renovated house.
Safety and hygiene tips for cleaning during renovation:
- the importance of maintaining cleanliness and hygiene – maintaining cleanliness during a renovation is important for the health of residents and for the efficiency of the work. It prevents the spread of dust, debris, chemicals, and other pollutants, which can have a negative impact on health and cause respiratory problems and allergic reactions.
- the use of appropriate personal protective equipment – during cleaning during a renovation, always use appropriate personal protective equipment. Wear protective gloves to protect your hands from sharp or dangerous objects and from the action of chemicals. Protective masks are essential to prevent the inhalation of dust, debris, and other particles that may be present in the air. Goggles or safety glasses protect the eyes from pollutants and possible injuries.
- the safe disposal of waste and harmful substances – during a renovation, a lot of waste can be generated, such as rubble, packaging, paints, chemicals. It’s important to properly dispose of these wastes, in accordance with applicable laws and local regulations. Don’t dispose of harmful or chemical substances down the drain or in ordinary garbage cans. Consult with local waste disposal services for information on the safe disposal of renovation waste.
- the choice of appropriate cleaning products – choose cleaning products that are suitable for specific surfaces and materials. Avoid mixing different chemicals that can cause dangerous reactions. Follow the manufacturer’s recommendations for the use and safe use of cleaning products.
- ventilate the rooms – during cleaning during a renovation, remember to regularly ventilate the rooms. Open the windows to exchange air and remove odors, dust and chemical vapors. This will help to maintain a fresh and safe work environment.
- follow the instructions and guidelines – read the safety instructions provided by the manufacturers of tools, equipment, and renovation materials. Follow the recommendations and guidelines for the safe use and storage of these items.
Remember that safety and hygiene are extremely important during a renovation. Adhering to the appropriate procedures and using the appropriate personal protective equipment is key to ensuring a safe and hygienic work environment.
During a renovation, a lot of dust, dirt, and debris is created. Therefore, it’s important to have the right cleaning equipment.
What can be of use?
- vacuum cleaner – an essential tool during a renovation. Choose a vacuum cleaner with a high suction power that can collect dust, dirt and other pollutants from floors, carpets and other surfaces.
- mop or steam mop – a great tool for cleaning floors. You can choose a traditional mop with a bucket and a cloth or a steam mop that simultaneously washes and disinfects surfaces.
- rags and sponges – stock up on different types of rags and sponges that will help in removing stains, dirt and other dirt from different surfaces.
- brushes and brooms – useful for sweeping and removing pollutants such as dust, debris or small waste.
- dustpan – useful for collecting trash and debris from the floor. Choose a solid and durable tool that will make cleaning easier.
- trash bags – stock up on trash bags of the right size and strength to safely store and dispose of waste.
- cleaning products – choose the right cleaning products for different surfaces and materials. Depending on your needs, these can be universal cleaning products, window cleaning products, disinfectants, stain removers, etc.
- protective gloves – during the renovation, it is worth wearing protective gloves that will protect your hands from sharp objects, chemicals and dirt.
Remember that when cleaning during a renovation, it is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate personal protective equipment. Choose high-quality cleaning equipment and tools to ensure effective cleaning.
Quality monitoring and control
During a renovation, a lot of dust, dirt, and debris is created. Therefore, it’s important to monitor and control the quality of the cleaning. This will help to ensure that your home is clean and safe after the renovation.
Tips for regular quality control and cleaning assessment during renovation:
- regular inspections – regularly conduct inspections to assess the quality of the cleaning work. Check different areas of the apartment, such as floors, walls, windows, furniture, and other surfaces, to make sure they are clean.
- verification of compliance with expectations – compare the cleaning work performed with the expectations and standards that were established before the renovation started. Make sure that all tasks have been completed according to plan and meet the expectations in terms of cleanliness and order.
- consideration of details – pay attention to the details during the assessment of the cleaning quality. Check for any debris, dust, paint, or other pollutants. Remember about hard-to-reach places, such as corners, skirting boards, and door locks, to make sure they are clean.
- corrections and adjustments – if you notice any shortcomings during the quality control, make the appropriate corrections. Contact the renovation company or the cleaning staff to discuss any issues related to the quality of cleaning. If necessary, adjust the cleaning schedule or methods to ensure the appropriate cleanliness.
- communication and cooperation – it’s important to maintain communication and cooperation with the cleaning staff. Share your observations, expectations, and comments on the quality of cleaning. This will prevent shortcomings and will ensure that they are quickly corrected, and the cleaning work will meet expectations.
Monitoring and quality control during cleaning during renovation are important for ensuring cleanliness and safety. Regular cleaning assessments and corrections will help to maintain a high quality of cleaning and satisfaction with the renovation results.
Using the help of a cleaning company – Mistcont offer
Renovation can take up a lot of time, energy, and can evoke conflicting emotions. If you need assistance with cleaning before or after a renovation, you can rely on the help of a professional cleaning company.
Our company ensures effectiveness and experienced staff, time-saving solutions, professional equipment and cleaning agents, customization to individual needs, and alleviation of the stress associated with renovation cleaning.
In our offer, you will find:
- house cleaning – one-time and cyclical
- cleaning before moving in and after moving out
- commercial cleaning
We provide cleaning services in:
- Clarendon Hills
- Highland Park
- Oak Brook
- Oak Park
- Park Ridge
- River Forest